You always get stressed over them. These percentage numbers that tell you how well you’re doing in a certain class. You know that these numbers are big because they determine how good your GPA is, and GPA determines what college you end up going to.
Grades are one of the worst things ever created. And here are the reasons why:
1. Grades don’t, in any way, actually measure intelligence. In reality, there is no sure way to measure exactly how intelligent a person is. Grades are definitely not that.
2. Grades don’t really show what you’ve learned. It’s a theoretical percentage that goes up or down whether you’ve done well on mundane tasks and assignments. It has nothing to do with intelligence or learning. You could have learned a lot on the history of Europe, but still have a bad grade in history because you couldn’t do well on homework.
3. Grades often inflate up or down because of tests. The big problem: some people are terrible at taking tests. These could be really intelligent people. The fact that some possibly really intelligent and creative people are being marginalized simply by a system which really doesn’t show how much one has learned is really sickening.
4. Grades create unnecessary stress. It creates irrational self-hatred, shame, depression, etc. Just because you didn’t turn in some mundane assignment really shouldn’t get you on bad spirits.
5. The grading system is based on competition. This creates unnecessary stress and an unhealthy mentality to be “the best”. On the opposite spectrum, Finland, has an education system which is actually dedicated to self-centered learning. They don’t give a shit about GPAs or grades, and it shouldn’t be a surprise Finland ranks as the best educational system in the world.
If grades are stressing you out, don’t stress out too much. Remember that grades are absolute bullshit, and only go up or down if you’ve turned in mundane assignments. They don’t really determine intelligence.